Holy decadence batman. This monstrosity is full of homemade chocolate mousse, crushed Oreos and topped with homemade whipped cream and more Oreos!
Mile-High Oreo and Chocolate Mousse Pie
- small sauce pan
- 2 heat-proof mixing bowls
- mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- handheld mixer with whisk attachment
- 1 whole oreo crust pre-made
- 12 whole oreos crushed
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 whole egg whites
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (Extra) set to the side for whipped cream
- This recipe can be divided into five distinct sections for ease of assembly.
- 1: Whipped Cream
- Take three cups of heavy whipping cream and place it into the mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup Sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Whip with a handheld mixer with a whisk attachment or a kitchen top mixer until stiff peaks form and it begins to look like whipped cream.
- For posterity taste the whipped cream and then place it in the refrigerator to cool.
- 2: Melt the Chocolate
- Take a small sauce pan and place about 2 inches of water in it.
- Bring it to a medium simmer over medium heat.
- Place the heat-proof bowl over it and add the 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Allow it to begin melting.
- Chop or break up all of your chocolate bars and add it to the heat-proof bowl and allow it to begin melting, stirring occasionally.
- When chocolate is completely melted mix the butter in thoroughly, remove from heat and move on to the meringue.
- 3: Meringue
- This step is much more intimidating than it needs to be.
- Meringue is essentially whipped eggs and sugar.
- In this recipe we are going to lightly cook the eggs and sugar over the steaming water.
- They won’t end up as fluffy, but then there is no issue with the raw eggs anymore either.
- Place heat-proof bowl over the simmering water.
- Add 1 cup sugar, 4 egg whites and ¼ tsp cream of tartar.
- Use a hand whisk to whisk the ingredients together until the sugar is completely dissolved and the meringue begins to get a shimmering glossy look to it.
- Remove from heat and whisk with a hand mixer until mixture feels like marshmallow fluff.
- About 6 minutes on high.
- 5: Creating the Mousse
- Take the melted chocolate and gently fold it into the meringue, until the chocolate is well mixed.
- This can sometimes take a little bit of doing.
- After these are mixed, now gently mix in two thirds of the whipped cream to make the mousse.
- The mixture should be light and fluffy, and very chocolaty.
- 6: Assembly
- Take your pie crust, and fill it with half of the mousse.
- Now take half of the crumbled Oreos and spread them on top of the mousse.
- Top this with the rest of the mousse allowing the extra mousse to form a pile towards the center.
- Spread the mousse as necessary with a rubber spatula to give the pie symmetry.
- Now take the last of the whipped cream and spread it over the top of the mousse and crumble the remaining Oreos over the pie.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours, trying not to drool as you look at it!
- Cut into slices and serve cold.
If you haven't noticed, this website is full of helpful free information and articles! We are more than just a recipe website.
We recommend that you start with our page on Cooking Tips for Cancer Fighters. That's the hub where all of our most useful information is stored. Including information on how to combat mouth sores, nausea, loss of appetite and metallic tastes!
You can also sign-up for a FREE digital class that fits your schedule HERE.
Don't forget to drop a bookmark on CookingForChemo.org