A classic white sausage gravy predominantly found in the southern United States. Served over light fluffy biscuits for a hearty, savory, and filling meal any time of the day.
Country Gravy Recipe (for biscuits)
- high sided sauté pan
- 4 ounces american breakfast pork sausage
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt or coarse ground sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar granulated
- 1/2 tsp sage ground or rubbed
- Pre-heat a large high sided sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook in pan until sausage is dark brown and fat has been released from the sausage.
- Add flour and rapidly stir to allow flour to adhere to the fat and sausage.
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes, stirring vigorously to form a brown roux.
- Add flavor balancers and aromatics.
- Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer.
- Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- When gravy has thickened, remove from heat and serve immediately.
If you haven't noticed, this website is full of helpful free information and articles! We are more than just a recipe website.
We recommend that you start with our page on Cooking Tips for Cancer Fighters. That's the hub where all of our most useful information is stored. Including information on how to combat mouth sores, nausea, loss of appetite and metallic tastes!
You can also sign-up for a FREE digital class that fits your schedule HERE.
Don't forget to drop a bookmark on CookingForChemo.org